The first edition of the event ‘North Sea as a future powerhouse’ will take place on the 17th of March 2017 in Utrecht (t.b.c.), the Netherlands.
As Michael Pye described in his book ‘The edge of the world’, the North Sea stimulated modernity and economic growth in the many of the countries surrounding it. Especially, its oil and gas resources have allowed society to thrive and caused great economies to emerge. However, fact is that there are about 600 gas production platforms in the North Sea which will have to be decommissioned in the coming decades. In addition to that, offshore wind capacity is increasing and leading to more need for storage of the power surplus. By combining the two, the fossil installations and networks may get new purposes and decommissioning may be delayed, while new grid investment may not be necessary and wind energy can be converted in a way that makes it easier to store and to transport.
This event, designed with the aim to build bridges between the fossil energy industry and the offshore wind sector, consists of a theoretical framework containing an "outlook" for offshore developments in the gas and wind industry, and will outline the most important options for achieving synergies and the influence of regional planning. The afternoon session will be marked by the industry with several offshore players discussing their offshore developments and their view on potential realisable synergies
The intention is there to develop similar events in other North Sea regions. For more information about this event please contact Ineke Tooms, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- July 03, 2017 EU-Russia Conference "Energy Transition: The New Paradigm"
- June 14, 2017 Partners embrace joint direction ‘New Energy Coalition’
- June 13, 2017 EDI strengthens cooperation in South East Europe
- May 16, 2017 Smart North Sea collaboration saves space, costs and carbon emissions
- May 15, 2017 “We should focus on greening the molecules, greening the electrons is going fine”
- May 15, 2017 EDI’s founding fathers celebrate 15th anniversary in Saint Petersburg
- May 10, 2017 Safety Culture and Leadership – Gazprom Partner event
- March 14, 2017 Obsolete gas and oil platforms can service a sustainable energy system