The first edition of the event ‘North Sea as a future powerhouse’ will take place on the 17th of March 2017 in Utrecht (t.b.c.), the Netherlands.
As Michael Pye described in his book ‘The edge of the world’, the North Sea stimulated modernity and economic growth in the many of the countries surrounding it. Especially, its oil and gas resources have allowed society to thrive and caused great economies to emerge. However, fact is that there are about 600 gas production platforms in the North Sea which will have to be decommissioned in the coming decades. In addition to that, offshore wind capacity is increasing and leading to more need for storage of the power surplus. By combining the two, the fossil installations and networks may get new purposes and decommissioning may be delayed, while new grid investment may not be necessary and wind energy can be converted in a way that makes it easier to store and to transport.
This event, designed with the aim to build bridges between the fossil energy industry and the offshore wind sector, consists of a theoretical framework containing an "outlook" for offshore developments in the gas and wind industry, and will outline the most important options for achieving synergies and the influence of regional planning. The afternoon session will be marked by the industry with several offshore players discussing their offshore developments and their view on potential realisable synergies
The intention is there to develop similar events in other North Sea regions. For more information about this event please contact Ineke Tooms, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- October 09, 2017 International Youth Day: Dialogue of Generations
- September 26, 2017 EDI's guest lecture on energy transition in Skolkovo
- September 05, 2017 Mirco MBA Survival of the smartest
- August 28, 2017 Symposium ‘Wind-meets-Gas’
- August 21, 2017 Klimaattop Noord-Nederland 2017: Speeding up the energy transition
- July 03, 2017 EU-Russia Conference "Energy Transition: The New Paradigm"
- June 14, 2017 Partners embrace joint direction ‘New Energy Coalition’
- June 13, 2017 EDI strengthens cooperation in South East Europe